Due to the chaos of busy routines and endless chores, it’s become more and more challenging to keep our lives (and our closets) tidy; which is why the Japanese tidying expert Marie Kondo’s approach to decluttering and organizing is so revolutionary and has shed light on how being more organized can be a cathartic experience.
Why Learn How to Fold Your Underwear
There are multiple scientifically backed benefits to living a more organized life, and to get there, you can start with a simple step. Folding your underwear, Instead of simply tossing your panties into a cluttered underwear drawer. Taking a couple of minutes to fold them can help you better utilize and save space, declutter, and get organized.
In this blog post, we will be covering some tips on why folding your underwear can make your life easier, and how to do it!
It’s okay if folding your pairs of panties is the last thing you have in mind after doing piles and piles of laundry- We get you. But here’s why you should do it:
1- Space Efficiency
When you have your panties folded you spare yourself and your underwear drawer from a messy clutter of undies, it can be overwhelming to open your underwear drawer in the morning and have a big pile of panties in chaos. When folded, underwear becomes more compact and smaller, which leads us to our second point.
2- Save Time
When you don’t even know what pairs of underwear are in your dresser drawer space, it’s hard to find the pair you want. You have to get them one by one until you find the perfect pair, which let’s be honest, you don’t have time for. Save that time to get that extra cup of coffee.
3- Find Unwanted Pairs
Have you ever been on the hunt for the perfect pair you want, but come across crappy underwear you bought in 2014? We get it. An unfolded space mess of panties can keep you from noticing what you don’t want anymore. Folding underwear not only can lead you easily to the style and color you’re looking for, but also can help you filter out those you’d never wear again.
4- Fewer Wrinkles
Even if they’re fresh and clean, wrinkly undies can feel unappealing to put on. If you fold them properly, not only will you keep them tidy in your drawer, but you will treat yourself to a smooth, soft, and comfy pair every morning.
5- Neater Packing
Packing is always tricky in the first place, but it can be even harder once you just throw your underwear collection in there. Folding panties can help keep your luggage neat, and avoid the stress of not finding items you want when you’re outside of your closet.
Now that we know why folding underwear is so important, it’s time to learn how to do it- and it doesn’t have to be a long and stressful process! Instead of looking it up on google or search for youtube videos, here are the best and most efficient methods for neatly folded underwear for any underwear style.
Methods on How to Fold Underwear Quickly
A. Marie Kondo Method
Applies to: All kinds.
By being a pro in home organization and teaching us how to upgrade our closet game, expert Marie Kondo believes that every item of clothing should be granted the respect they deserve, by being appreciated, touched, and stored properly. The most valuable tidying tool she provides is her folding method- the more folds, the fewer wrinkles.
- Lay the pair flat in front of you on a flat surface.
- Fold in half lengthwise, crotch side to the waistband.
- Fold the right side to the center, then do the same with the left side.
- Fold over the crotch again so it stands upright.
Ta-Da! You Marie Kondo’d it out!
B. The Roll Method
Applies to: All kinds.
As one of the easiest and most time-efficient methods, rolling can be your best bet when you’re running late. It creates cylinder-shaped bundles of panties, which can be stacked in layers to keep your drawers neat.
- Lay flat the underwear facing up at a flat surface at a 90-degree vertical position with crotch side facing left and waistband facing right.
- Take the crotch to the waistband, folding it in half. Smooth it over.
- Start rolling the bottom side away from you, creating a cylinder-shaped bundle.
C. Egg Roll Method
Applies to: Bikini Panties, Brief Panties, Cheeky Underwear
The egg roll method is similar to the Roll Method but can take a little bit more time and creates a tighter look to your pair of panties.
- Lay underwear facing up with the waistband facing you.
- Fold waistband 3 times towards the crotch- note: crotch should remain out.
- Flip it over and lay it flat with the backside up and the crotch facing you.
- Fold each waistband towards the center, where they overlap.
- Start rolling the bottom edge until it is on top of the bundle.
- Flip the bundle inside out three times – essentially reversing the narrow waistband folds by placing your thumbs inside the pocket and using your middle finger to push the fabric along the back of the pocket.
D.Square Fold method
Applies to: All kinds.
In only three simple steps and taking less than a minute, this is one of the fastest and easiest methods to keep your panties tidy and organized.
- Lay underwear face up on a flat surface and smooth it out with the crotch facing you.
- Fold the bottom up in half, crotch meeting waistband in the center
- Fold each side towards the center, overlapping one another, creating a neat little square.
E. Army Roll
Applies to: Brief Panties, Bikini Bottoms, Cheeky Panties, Boy Shorts, High Waisted Panties
Ideal for pieces of underwear with more fabric, this method surely helps to keep your bigger pairs neat, unwrinkled, and organized in no time.
- Lay underwear facing up, and smooth it out with crotch facing you
- Fold the waistband once (it will be helpful at the end).
- Fold one side towards the center, do the same with the other side.
- Roll the bottom of the underwear up towards the middle of the waistband.
- Tuck the rolled portion into the waistband.
Some styles can be a little more tricky to fold such as thongs, boxers, and briefs but don’t worry, we got you covered with the easiest way to fold them.
Folding Specific Types of Underwear
How to Fold Thongs
Similar to the square method, this thong folding technique is super simple, perfect for easy stacking, and is not time-consuming.
- Lay thong face down with waistband at the top, smooth it.
- Take crotch and fold it up in half to meet the waistband
- Fold both sides to the center part, where they overlap each other creating a compacted square.
Shop Thong Panties here!
How to Fold Boxers/Briefs
Briefs can be a little more difficult to fold since it usually includes more fabric, but also similar to the square method, you can create a neat square-shaped fold in no time.
- Lay brief face down with crotch facing you
- Fold it in half, where crotch meets waistline
- Rotate sideways and fold sides (more than twice if needed, depending on the size and amount of fabric)
Shop Brief Panties here!
Having an organized closet doesn’t exclusively apply to a tidy underwear drawer, it is also important to fold other garments and accessories such as bras and bralettes.
How to Fold Other Garments and Accessories
How to Fold Bralettes
- Lay bralette facing down
- Fold the straps into cups
- Fold cups together in half.
Bralettes for women here!
How to Store Bras
- Lay bra facing down
- Clip the back part
- Tuck in shoulder strap into the cup
- Stack them up
Now that you know why you should fold your undies and how to do it, it’s time to start upgrading your home organization and start rearranging your life to be the best version of yourself! Living a stress-free life starts by decluttering our personal spaces, after all, you don’t have the time to worry about wrinkled panties. Save time, save space, wear seamless panties and go rock it!